Learning Support Programs:
Our Teachers and Teacher Aides support our learners on various
programs to provide for their Individual, Special and Specific Learning Needs:
- Kauri Program: High and Moderate Needs students with an Individual Education Program or classroom adaptation focus on specific learning needs - Lyndal McGregor (TA)
- Literacy Program: Groups of students focus on Literacy Skills: Phonics, Spelling, Reading, Writing - Anita Marolias (TA), Rosemarie Lategan (SENCO)
- Numeracy Program: Groups of students focus on basic facts and problem solving through maths games and activities - Tania Foote (TA)
- Transition Program: Students in Year 5-8, with learning needs working on a program supported by Howick College to transfer to Intermediate and Secondary schools - Lyndal McGregor (TA), Tania Foote(TA), Rosemarie Lategan (SENCO)
- ESOL Program: Students learning English as a second or other language - (TA)
- Visual Perceptual Program: Students with visual and fine/ gross motor needs working on a developmental program - (TA)
- Language and Communication Group: Students supported by a Speech and Language Therapist.
- Parent and Tutor Reading: Students read with trained parents and tutors in the community.
- Social Skills: A small group focus on communication and social interaction for the classroom and in the playground working on friendship, choices, consequences, responsibilities, rules and sharing through games and circle time - Rosemarie Lategan (SENCO)
- SEASONS Program: A unique peer support program for children dealing with feelings of loss and grief resulting from separation, divorce and death -(All Saints Howick), Rosemarie Lategan (SENCO)
- Nurture Group for students with Emotional and social needs, supported by a student counsellor working at our school voluntary on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- GIFTED AND TALENTED STUDENTS: Accelerated Learning!!!! -Differentiated Learning & Gifted and Talented Talent Development Plan.
Some High Needs students: Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Syndrome, Emotional and Behaviour Support - working with Trained Teacher aides in the school - ORS/ Ministry of Education funded.www.minedu.govt.nz
Programs are planned, assessed, supervised and supported by: Rosemarie Lategan - Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO), working with students, teachers, teacher aides, parents, Outside Agencies, Therapists and Professionals:
- MOESE - Ministry of Education: Special Education
- RTLB- Resource Teacher of Learning and Behaviour
- SLT - Speech and Language Therapists
- RT:Lit - Resource Teacher Literacy Support
- SLS - Supplementary Learning Support
- Moderate Physical Needs Contract - Occupational/ Physio Therapists
- Whirinaki - Behavioral/ Emotional/ Mental Health Support
- CYFS - Child, Youth and Family Services
- Educational and Behaviour Psychologists
- Crisis and Trauma Team - Ministry of Education