Feijoa Almond Cake
80g softened butter or Olivano spread, ¼ cup runny honey, 3 large eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, 1 cup Feijoa puree –cut fruits in half and remove soft centre then mash, 1 cup plain flour, 1 cup wholemeal flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ cup trim milk, 1 packet toasted slivered almonds + ½ cup of brown sugar mixed together – for cake topping 22 cm round cake tin – lined with baking paper
- Preheat oven to 180?C
- Cream butter and honey until pale, then add eggs one at a time
- Add vanilla essence
- Sieve flour and wholemeal flour along with salt baking powder and baking soda – add the wholemeal flours bran back
- Fold in fruit pulp followed by flour
- Fold in milk
- Spoon cake mix into in and bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and sprinkle sugar and almond mix over cake and back further 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into middle comes out clean
- Serve with thick Greek yoghurt mixed through with freshly pulped Feijoa
Feijoa & Almond Cake
125g butter, 200g white sugar, 2 eggs – number 6s are fine, 165g white flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/3 teaspoon salt, 30g ground almonds, 225 g sour cream, 1 teaspoon almond essence (opt), Approx. 400-500 g ripe feijoas – cut in half/thirds, 1 heaped tablespoon coarse grained sugar, A pinch of ground ginger
- Pre-heat oven to 200?C
- Line the base of a 9” (22cm) cake tin with baking paper and anti-stick spray the paper plus the sides.
- Cream together the butter and sugar very well. Beat in eggs one at a time until well combined, then lastly the essence
- Stiff dry ingredients over mixture and add at the same time the sour cream and almond meal
- Fold in carefully until well combined (mixture is quiet thick)
- Spoon into prepared pan and very lightly press in the cut fruit (cut side up)
- The fruit should be quite crowded but in a single layer
- Sprinkle sugar/ginger evenly over fruit and put cake into oven and immediately set temperature to a reduced 180?C
- Bake for 50 minutes, turn oven off and leave in oven for an hour
- Serve warm
Feijoa & Coconut Cake
75 g softened butter, ¾ cup caster sugar, 2 eggs, separated, 1 cup desiccated coconut, 1 cup plain flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, Pinch of salt, ¾ cup milk ( or ¾ water and ¼ cream), ¾ cup sour cream, ¾ Feijoa flesh, chopped in the cup so you don’t lose too much liquid
- Preheat oven to 150?C (350?F), arranging a rack in the centre.
- Heavily grease your springform cake tin, then sprinkle with coconut and flour to prevent sticking
- Beat butter and sugar until pale
- Beat in yolks one at a time, for a minute after each addition. The mixture should not keep trying to separate before the next step
- Add the coconut and sift over the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Fold through and when it’s about half done fold the milk and sour cream through as well. Set aside
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold through the yolky batter until mostly incorporated (a whisper of egg white is ok) then fold through the Feijoa
- Pop in the oven and let bake 50 minutes to an hour, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out moist but clean. Cool until warm to the touch , then turn out
200ml coconut cream (shake first), 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- On medium low heat, bring the mixture to a bare simmer, until the sugar dissolves, and stir with a whisk constantly to break up any lumps in the cream.
- Drizzle over cake while warm if possible, and store covered in the fridge for later use
Feijoa Chocolate Cake
185g butter, ¾ cup caster sugar, 2 eggs, 1 ½ cups of peeled feijoas, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, 1 ½ cups self raising flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ cup of cocoa, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ½ cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 180?C
- Combine feijoas, brown sugar and cinnamon in bowl and set aside
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time
- Stir sour cream into Feijoa mix and combine well
- Sift dry ingredients into creamed butter/sugar/eggs.
- Add Feijoa mix and combine well
- Transfer batter into prepared tin and smooth top evenly
- Bake 40-45mins,or until skewer comes out clean
- Sit for 5 minutes before turning out