Harvest Feijoa Chutney 1
1.5 kg feijoas, peeled and chopped, 1 kg onions, peeled and finely diced, ½ cup crystallised ginger, diced, 2 cups currants, 2 cups brown sugar, 1 teaspoon mixed spice, 3 kaffir lime leaves, julienned, 3 teaspoons curry powder, 1 litre cider vinegar
- In a large pan combine all ingredients, stir to the boil
- On the lowest heat, simmer until thick
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal once cool
Feijoa Chutney 2
2 cups Feijoa flesh chopped, 2 large onions, peeled and diced, ½ cup sultanas, 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 2 cups cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon curry powder,
- Place all ingredients in a large heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil, stir until sugar has dissolved. Turn down heat and simmer hard for 30-45 minutes, stirring regularly until thin and syrupy.
- Ladle mixture into sterilised jars. Be sure they are well sealed. Store in a cool, dark place.
Feijoa Chutney 3
2 lb feijoas, 2 med onions, 2 apples, 1 tablespoon salt, ½ oz mixed spice, 15 oz malt vinegar, 1 lb brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Peel and chop fruit and veg.
- Add vinegar bring to boil and simmer ½ hour, stirring
- Add remaining ingredients and boil ½- ¾ until well blended
2 lbs feijoas, peeled and sliced, ½ cup water, 1 lemon juice and zest, 4 cups warmed white sugar
Feijoa and Ginger Jam (microwave)
500g peeled feijoas, 500g sugar, Juice on one lemon, 3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger, ½ cup water
- Place feijoas, water, lemon juce and zest in a large stainless steel pot and bring to the boil, simmer and cook until fruit is soft, around 25 minutes.
- Add warmed sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Bring jam to a rapid boil and boil without stirring until the mixture reaches the setting point, around 20 minutes.
- Pour jam into hot sterilized jars and seal and process.
- Chop the peeled feijoas. Place in a food processor and pulp well
- Place pulped feijoas in a very large glass bowl with the sugar, lemon juice, fresh grated ginger and water.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes, then stir
- Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring once, then pour into jars and seal
Feijoa and Apricot Jam – makes 3 cups
1 large can of apricots –chopped, keep juice, 1 kg feijoas, ¼ cup lemon juice, 4 cups sugar – heat sugar in oven to make warm clean jars with screw-top lids
- Wash feijoas and trip off flower ends
- Chop fruit without peeling
- Into a pot, add fruit together with lemon juice and warm sugar
- Stir a few times to dissolve sugar
- Bring to the boil and boil briskly until a setting test is reached
- Pack and seal into clean jars
Feijoa & Prune Indian Relish
1 kg feijoas – remove flower stalk and chopped, 2 granny smith apples – chopped. Leave skins on, 1 pkt pitted pruned, ½ pkt currents, ½ pkt sugared ginger – finely chopped, 2 red onions – chopped, Couple chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 1 teaspoon grated ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1 kg sugar, 2 tablespoons molasses, 2 ½ cups malt vinegar, 1 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, all spice, mixed spice, ½ teaspoon five spice
- Bring all ingredients to the boil and simmer away about 1 hour
- Cool then add 1 teaspoon citric acid
- Then store in clean screwtop jars
3 feijoas, peeled and finely chopped, 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander, 1 table spoon brown sugar, Fresh ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together
- Place in small bowl and let flavour mingle for and hour before serving
Can be used with steak, fish, chicken or even potoato wedges. Also great in rolls with cheese.
4 feijoas, 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard, 2 tablespoons brown sugar
This is great served with meat or chicken or can be used as a glaze for ham, freezes well
- Cut feijoas in half scoop out the flesh, add to blender
- Add remaining ingredients pulse until smooth